Thursday, August 12, 2010

Majesty!


The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty; the Lord is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved....Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea, the Lord on high is mighty. Psalm 93:1 and 4 (NIV)

As I drew this design I felt strong. I felt the strength of the Lord flowing through me and guiding my hands. It was a great feeling. I wanted this design to be bold, colorful, moving, and most of all I wanted it to portray the power of the Lord. In this design the Lord is robed in majesty, mighty, and armed with strength.

What images do you have of God? Different artists over the years have portrayed the Lord in a variety of ways. And in the same way, many artists have created portraits of Jesus. Does it really matter all that much? Remember what Jesus said to Thomas in John 20:29; “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” Are you familiar with the song written by Jack Hayford, Majesty? This design reminds me so much of the words in that song, which in part are: “Majesty; Unto Jesus be all glory, honor and praise! So exalt, lift up on high the name of Jesus. Magnify, come glorify Christ Jesus the King.” I don’t know about you, but that is all the visual I need!

In my book, In The Beginning...The Art of Bob Spence, I recalled a time when I left the office frustrated and angry. My anxiety was at an extremely high level. I obviously was not thinking about Paul’s advice in his letter to the Philippians. I got into the car, started the engine, and like a teenager, “put the pedal to the metal” and accelerated down the road. I reached out and pushed the button for my CD player and the first words out of the speaker were, “God is in control.” I took my foot off the accelerator, pushed in the clutch, and down shifted. The words touched my heart and I came back to my senses. My God is indeed robed in majesty and is armed with strength. He is in control. As marketplace Christians it is imperative that we share the majesty of God with our associates so that they can come to know Him, love Him and serve Him. Let us magnify and glorify Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment