Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meaningless


“Meaningless. Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.” Ecclesiastes 1:2 (NIV Bible)

This design is just a design. Nothing more. Nothing less. It has shapes. It has colors. It flows. It has style. It is pleasing to the eye. But, it is meaningless. As I did this design I really felt nothing. I remember drawing the shapes and using the pens to apply the colors, but I felt just plain empty. Meaningless. Ever have one of those times? I wondered why did I even pick up the pens! I actually did not feel the inspiration I feel when I draw. It was as if I was alone, very alone and meaningless. Now, in hindsight, I know what I was to share. This design illustrates a life without God. Without God our lives are hollow and without any purpose. Hollow. Empty. Meaningless.

In Matthew 16:26 it is written, “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?” Consider the man or woman who devotes their life to accumulating power. They find their meaning and purpose in this control over the lives of others. When they die, what happens to all the power and influence they have accumulated? What happens to all their earthly treasures? In essence, their lives have been totally meaningless. I have to confess that when I watch these folks at first I mock them, and then this mocking changes to pity, which then results in praying for them. It would do them well to read Philippians 2:1-11 about the attitudes of our Lord, Christ Jesus. (You should put this article aside now and read that Scripture.) You want to talk about meaning and purpose? It’s right there in the Bible!

It is written in 1 Chronicles 29:11-12; Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Want meaning in your life? Turn to God. Put your trust in Him. Draw your purpose from His Word. Then go out into the Marketplace and live like Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment